Benefits of, Hydrotherapy treatment involves using water for the recovery of muscles including balancing, coordination and movement. The water can be in liquid, ice and steam form. With the pressure, a physical energy infused in muscle tissues enhances healing processes. The water therapy is also used in connection with heat hence the term – hydrothermal therapy.
Aim of Hydrotherapy
The basic aim of hydrotherapy is to activate functions of a human body by making it react to a hot and cold spurs. In general, heat therapy soothes human body as it slows down the activity of internal organs. On the other hand, cold stimulates body functions. This is why when you are dealing with stress you feel relaxed after a hot bath. However, if you are feeling tired, you may take a cold shower.
Benefits of Hydrotherapy:
- Gets rid of stress.
- Revitalizes your body.
- Improves your immune system and digestion.
- Enhances flow of blood through your body.
- Reduces pains and body aches.
- Aids sleep.
- Helps with treatment of arthritis.
- Is used in the treatment of musculoskeletal disorders.
- Heals burns.
- Benefits stroke patients.
- Recovers sport injuries.
- Is a good form of pre and post-natal exercise.
- Effective with high fever, acne and cold.
Methods of Hydrotherapy :
Some of the sessions are carried out in special swimming pools, saunas, baths and similar areas where temperature is maintained at a certain level. Usually the temperature of water is at 33 to 36 degrees whereas the surrounding is at 25 to 28 degrees.
Some of the popular hydrotherapy systems are:
- Kneipp System: Sebastian Kniepp developed the technique that involves usage of both hot and cold water. Some of the popular treatments are water treading, dew walking and snow walking. This technique has positive effects on human body. It strengthens immune system and is good for mental health and segmental responses. In addition, it helps with tensed muscles and trauma recovery.
- Colon Hydrotherapy: With this painless therapy, warm water infused in rectum helps clear any waste build-up in a colon. This therapy naturally improves your digestive system using no chemicals or drugs.
- Hydro Massage Therapy: Use of warm water to massage human body causes chemical, mechanical and thermal reactions. This technique improves blood circulation, relieves tensed and aching muscles, reduces stress. Additionally, it’s good in the recovery from sports injuries, arthritis, insomnia and many other diseases.
Preparing for a Hydrotherapy :
Before going for your hydrotherapy session, here are some tips to consider:
- Be aware of the details of the session such as length of the session, method, features included etc.
- If you have been prescribed a certain program, make sure your hydrotherapy session is tailored to your needs.
- In case you are pregnant or have any problem, inform your therapist. In such instances hydrotherapy may not be suitable. Such circumstances includes high/low blood pressure, chest infection, fever, high sugar level, asthma, skin infection, epilepsy and upset stomach.
- Do not consume a full meal or take alcohol before going to hydrotherapy. Have your meal afterwards instead.
Basics of a Hydrotherapy Treatment:
Hydrotherapy sessions are basically exercises in water, supervised by your therapist. Although exact details depend on your injury or condition. For example, if you are suffering from spinal injuries you will be assigned to a physiotherapist assistance.
You need to take multiple sessions for the recovery to take place. The first consultation is around 30-45 minutes. Therapists ask questions related to overall health including your medical history. This is necessary so that they can tailor the session according to your needs. Usually the course consists of 4-5 sessions with the recommended exercises.
It is natural to feel tired after a session. Go for a massage or a beauty treatment afterwards. Hydrotherapy keeps you in water leaving you hungry so visit a food place too.
Hydrotherapy treatment is safe so you will likely not see any side effects. However, if therapist is using any herbs or essential oils, make sure you are not allergic to them. If you happen to be allergic, let your therapist know about it in advance. Enjoy your session!